Victorian Studies Association of Ontario
Saturday 30 April 2016
The theme of the 2016 VSAO conference is “Vicarious Victorians: Transmitting Experience in the Nineteenth-Century.” Professors Rachel Ablow (U Buffalo) and Jules Law (Northwestern U) will serve as our two plenary speakers.
We invite proposals that interpret the theme of vicariousness – across spaces, eras, bodies, genres, and media – in broad, interdisciplinary, and imaginative ways. Papers might address:
• virtual tourism, armchair imperialism
• simulations, dioramas, panoramas, maps
• translation, adaptation, reenactment
• identification, sympathy, empathy
• embodiment, psychosomatic phenomena, hypnotism and mesmerism
• photography, telegraphic realism, sound and film technologies
Please send electronic copies of proposals (300–500 words) and brief biographical sketches to Tina Y. Choi by 5 February 2016.
To learn more about the VSAO, upcoming events, and membership, please visit http://vsao.apps01.yorku.ca.